Hornby Store, Early 1900's
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Hornby Store, which burned down in 1929. This photo was taken in the early 1900’s. It was rebuilt in brick.
Bill Lindsay was postmaster and store owner in the 1920s. The store was called "Lindsay's" under his proprietorship.
Other postmasters and proprietors of the store were: Wilmar James Thompson, store proprietor and postmaster from about 1946 till 1963 ; William (Bill) Cooley who retired when the post office closed in 2008.
- Hornby was unofficially centered around the intersection of Trafalgar Road (7th Line) and Steeles (Lower Base Line) but in reality, it is so widespread, people refer to "Hornby East" and "Hornby West". It spread into both Esquesing and the old Trafalgar Townships of Halton County. The store has always been at Steeles and Trafalgar, now (in 2017), it is at the Steeles and Hornby Road intersection. The village was named for Hornby Castle in England because of a family connection.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Hornby Store, Early 1900's
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton