William Cyrus Inglehart (1823 – 1917)
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Oldest son of John Peter Inglehart and Elizabeth (Betsy) Fisher. William Cyrus farmed at Con 2, SDS, Lot 31, Trafalgar Twp, Nelson Cty. He built the house known as "Oakhurst" in the late 1800s with his second wife, Eleanor.
William Cyrus was married twice. The certificate for his first marriage to Mary Bray, daughter of Mahlon Bray and Rachel Freeman, was found pasted in his son Herbert’s scrapbook. (Herbert was the oldest son of his second marriage to Eleanor McLaren.)
The wedding certificate of William Cyrus and Mary Bray glued into Herbert Inglehart’s red scrapbook reads: “I hereby certify that on the twenty-ninth day of August in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred and forty-nine, William Cyrus Inglehart in the township of Trafalgar, in the Gore District, and Mary Bray in the Township of Trafalgar, in the Gore District, were married by me, Wellington Jeffers, a minister of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Canada, which said marriage was Solemnized by Licence in the presence of John Bray and Cyrus Nixon." It is witnessed and signed by John Bray and Cyrus Nixon. Signed by W. Jeffers. Dated Brantford, August 29th, AD 1949.
His second wife was Eleanor, daughter of John McLaren and Nancy Cleaver. It is said that she designed “Oakhurst” and insisted on plenty of closets because she was tired of living in a log cabin with none. Her
Memorial Card shows that she died in Palermo and is buried in the cemetery at Palermo.
- Personal Name(s):
- William Cyrus Inglehart (1823–1917) ;
Eleanor McLaren (1839-1912)
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- William Cyrus Inglehart (1823 – 1917)
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton