Bethel United Church
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- The following information is taken, in part, from the book, "Mrs. Merry's Memories" from a series of taped interviews by Lou Bradley, edited by Deborah Quaile, published by the Milton Historical Society, c2002. It is also from the note by longtime church member and historian, Ross Wark, in the Winter 2014 Newsletter of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society.
The Primitive Methodist Connexion church at Drumquin was originally a wood frame building erected in 1848 during the pastorate of Reverend Mr. Boyle. This chuch replaced an earlier church/school building that had been across the road. Ross notes that the planks for this building were cut at the Howes sawmill. John Featherstone transported the first load of timber to the building site.
According to "Mrs. Merry's Memories", there was no basement to this structure, there was a kitchen and porch at the back, with outhouses behind. The pews were wood with straight backs, there were coal oil lamps on the walls, "but our service was always over before they were needed", she says. There was a pedal organ which she and her sister, Mrs. Stevens played for many years at services. She remembers the wonderful Christmas concerts with sweet, tasty coffee, salmon and ham sandwiches, layer cakes and pies which they ate in the pews while having a good time. Dialogues, choruses, drills by the children and always Santa claus were features. Sometimes a Christmas tree.
In 1915, the last service was held in this old wood frame church, the door was closed and the Bethel Methodist Church congregation walked over to the new brick church for its inaugural service. In 1925, the congregation was part of the sweeping church union and became Bethel United Church.
This wooden church was sold for a house to Mr. Hugh O'Connor.
- The church is located on the west side of 7th Line (Trafalgar Road) just north of Britannia Road, on a hill. In 2011, the church was Bethel United Church in Hornby Pastoral Charge. As of 2015, it is Redhill Church, part of Milton Area Christian Churches Working Together.
- Date Of Event:
- Corporate Name(s):
- Primitive Methodist Connection Church,
Bethel Methodist Church,
Bethel United Church
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Bethel United Church
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton