Maria Wilson Deforest Featherstone.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Maria Wilson Deforest, married to John Featherstone.
John Featherstone and his wife Jane and five children came from the county of Durham in England in 1829. They traveled for three months until they reached Lowville, where they stayed for the winter. In the spring of 1832, they moved to Drumquin on the seventh line. Six more children were born to them. Until Bethel Church was built, the family attended Bloomfield Church on the Sixth Line. Only a neglected graveyard and the cornerstones of the church now remain to mark the site of this pioneer place of worship.
When, in 1848, Father Boyle, a convert from Catholicism, arrived in the community, he made his home with the Featherstone family, and soon the talk was of erecting the Bethel Church.
In fact, all the ministers made their home there, coming over from Brampton on Saturday, they traveled on horseback through the bush. When Bethel Church was first built, it was spoken of as the “Featherston’s meeting house.” The timbers were donated from Featherston’s bush, and he gave half the land for the cemetery and church. Mr. Thomas Wise donated the other half. The remains of both men lie on their own respective properties.
- Local identifier:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton