Centre Mall, Hamilton, 14th Anniversary 1969.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Centre Mall on Barton Street, Hamilton celebrates the 14th anniversary of its opening in 1955. At the time, it was an open-air strip mall with each store having a sign hanging from the walkway ceiling as well as on the storefront. The Greater Hamilton Shopping Centre is better known as The Centre Mall.
According to Wikepdia, "the Centre Mall was built in 1955 and was one of the first shopping malls in all of North America.
The Centre Mall used to be the site of the Jockey Club racetrack but in the years after the Second World War the push for Hamilton's eastward expansion had completely engulfed the Jockey Club property. On 26 September 1952 the racetrack was sold."
Over the years, the multiplex theatre was later changed to a bingo hall, the A&P grocery store and Canadian Tire were demolished and in 2012, the mall is preparing for redevelopment and rejuvenation. Please see the links for more information.
- The second photo embedded in this record shows the banner clearly. See "Pages" to open up the second photograph.
J. Holland Motors opened in 1961. John Holland was a Port Credit, Mississauga councillor.
More photographs may be found by searching www.flickr.com.
- On the mall: Bonita Shoes.
On the banner: Win 1969 Chevrolet Free! ; the Centre 14th Birthday Sale ; J. Holland Motors Burlington ; Full Details Daily ; 900 CHML.
- Date of Original:
- Personal Name(s):
- John Holland.
- Corporate Name(s):
- J. Holland Motors, Burlington.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Centre Mall, Hamilton, 14th Anniversary 1969.
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton