Palermo School, 1896
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Everyone is dressed in their best clothes and the older students and teachers have a lovely boutonniere or corsage. Arthur Smith is the young lad in the 3rd row, 2nd from the right. He is 13 years old.
His younger brother, Russell is also likely in the photograph. Russell was 10 years old.
- This is the original brick schoolhouse built at Palermo, Trafalgar Township in 1875. The school was hit by lightening and ultimately destroyed, with a new building for the school opening in 1942.
- The young lad on the left holds up a slate with the names of the Trustees: Ins. Hopes (Inspector Hopes), Jas. (James) VanSickle, Dr. McCrimmon.
The girl on the right has a slate with the names of the teachers and the date: W.W. ?Dales?Giles? - can't quite read the surname, Miss Mitchell, June 17, 1896.
- Date of Original
- June 17, 1896
- Personal Name(s)
- Arthur Albert, b. December 1883, d. 1970, and John Russell, b. 1886. Art and Russell's parents were John Walker Smith, b. August 31, 1854, m. October 26, 1881 to Keturah Margaret Inglehart, d. April 28, 1930. Keturah Inglehart, b. August 21, 1858, d. June 8, 1918. James Vansickle (or VanSickle) was an early owner of the property known today as Bertin Stables, 3445 Dundas Street West. The farmhouse was destroyed by fire in March 2010. Jim married local girl, Martha Book on November 11, 1862. James Vansickle, b. May 29, 1838 in Beverly Township, Wentworth County, Ontario. d. September 13, 1922 in Trafalgar, Halton, Ontario and is buried in the Palermo United Church Cemetery. Jim's parents were John Drake Vansickle (1804-1883) and Elizabeth Howell (1810-1890) ; they are buried in Mount Zion Cemetery, Copetown, Hamilton, Ontario. Martha (Book) Vansickle was born on June 21, 1837 in Beverly Township, Wentworth, Ontario. She was the daughter of Jonathan Book (1815-1861) and Hannah Priscilla Smith (1814-1897). Martha died on October 10, 1906 and is buried in the Palermo United Church Cemetery with her husband and parents.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43341 Longitude: -79.78293
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Palermo School, 1896
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton