Palermo Public School 1947
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- School photo from Palermo Public School, 1947. Ron Wettlaufer is on the far left, back row.
Palermo Schoolhouse is located at 2431 Dundas Street West. The schoolhouse is currently home to the Trafalgar Historical Society.
There was a school in Palermo as early as 1819. It was one of 3 public schools in Trafalgar Twp. The first school may have been on the same property as the ones built in 1842, 1875 & 1942 or it may have been across the road near the cemetery.
The first school was built in 1844. A new school was built in 1875. This new 1942 building contains the date stone of the old. It served as a school in the village of Palermo for a couple of decades.
The school stopped being used in the 1960’s when a new Palermo school was built on Bronte Rd. Marg Wark was the last teacher at Palermo. The new school wasn’t ready on time and the students were taught in the Palermo hall, St Lukes & the old Palermo school until it was completed. The present-day St. Joseph's Portuguese Roman Catholic Church at 2451 Bronte Road incorporated the school in its building.
After the school closed, the building was used by the Trafalgar Police Department.
In 2010, the Halton District School Board opened a new Palermo Public School in northwest Oakville.
This public school was S.S. #2.
The former Halton Board of Education had previously owned a school named Palermo Public School, located on Bronte Road, on the east side and south of Hwy. 5. This school was closed and sold in 1978.
The village of Palermo was at the intersection of Dundas Street and Old Bronte Road. The Palermo community is referenced back in the 1841 census.
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton