"Oakhurst", Inglehart House, 1470 Bronte Road
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Two photographs of "Oakhurst", built by and home of the Inglehart family since the late 1800s, as photographed in about 2009. The second photograph shows the old barn. The silo was built of lakestone.
In the Historical Atlas of Halton County, 1877, William Cyrus was at Con. (NDS) 2 Lot 33, Morrey’s Buisness Directory – Halton, Waterloo and Wellington, (Ingersoll: Union Publishing Co., 1896) page 178 Inglehart, W.C., Palermo, Trafalgar Township Freeholder- Con. (NDS) 2 lot 31, Morrey’s Business Directory – Halton, Waterloo, Wellington Counties, (Ingersoll; Union Publishing Co., 1899), pa.
William also owned Lot 32 and part of Lot 33, a total of about 136 ½ acres.
The house address is 1470 Bronte Road. Until destroyed by fire in October 2015, it stood on the southwest corner of the intersection of Upper Middle Road and Bronte Road. There are several photographs of the house from various sides in this collection including several with family members including William and Eleanor.
A link to photographs by neighbour "Freaktography" is included in this record as this man was allowed to enter the house and photograph the interior.
- "Oakhurst" was a bit south of the "Dundas Highway" and Palermo. It was just north of the small hamlet centre of Merton.
Merton was a small hamlet in the old Trafalgar Township, centred just south of Oakhurst. The Merton area (Lots 26-35 2SDS Trafalgar) was settled as early as 1810. The first settlers were David Utter, Joseph Smith, William Bates, Cornelius Tipps and Henry Cale. The community adopted the name "Merton" when the post office opened in 1852. The name was likely chosen to commemorate the battle of Trafalgar and Lord Nelson as other local villages had chosen Bronte and Palermo. The post office remained open until 1917 when it was replaced by rural mail service from Bronte.
Merton boundaries were present day Burloak Drive to 3rd Line, the railway tracks near Lake Ontario north to Upper Middle Road. The intersection of Bronte Road (originally called Station Road) and the Queen Elizabeth Way (formerly Lower Middle Road) was the centre of the Merton area.
- Personal Name(s):
- William Cyrus Inglehart (1823–1917) ; Eleanor McLaren (1839-1912) ; Herbert Inglehart (1866–1959) ; Eleanor Lovina Rose (1899–1959)
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Oakhurst", Inglehart House, 1470 Bronte Road
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton