Munn's School, S.S. #3A, ca1904
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph shows the students and teachers on the front steps of the beautiful one-room school which had been built in 1900.
Daniel Munn gave the land on which the first school in the Trafalgar Township was built in 1809. (He received the 200 acre land grant of Lot 15, Con. 1 SDS in January 1808.) This substantial log structure served until 1852 as both school and church. In 1852 a new brick school with a cottage roof complete with bell opened on the site of the present Munn's Church (east side of Sixth Line, north side of Dundas). Later, the land on which the first school had been built became a cemetery (south side of Dundas, just east of Sixth Line). 1900 saw a new one-room school built east of the pond and farmhouse on the south side of Dundas, between 6th and 7th Lines on the original Munn family grant. This building was used until the spring of 1954.
- A link to the present-day Munn's school website is included for futher information.
- Personal Name(s):
- Daniel Munn, b.1745 d.1820
Lydia (Crompton) Munn, b.1715 d.1826
Millicent (Post) Munn, b.1778 d.1864
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Munn's School, S.S. #3A, ca1904
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton