S.S. #4, Snider's School, 1939
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Snider's school was first built on land owned by Ephraim Post Concession 1, Lot 6, NDS. We know S.S. #4 was in use by 1877 and the 1878 Atlas shows it right on the corner on the southwest side of Ninth Line and Burnhamthorpe Road.
The 200 acre Lot 6 was first owned by William Tisdale.
The old one-room S.S. #4 Snider's School shown in this photograph was closed in 1956. The building was used as a house until 2010 when it was torn down for road widening. At that time, the Town of Oakville gave the old "S.S. #4" sign boards to the Trafalgar Township Historical Society.
November 29, 1956 was the official opening of the new Snider's Public School, home of the team shown here. Snider's Public School closed at the end of June 1976.
The 1956 school building is on Burnhamthorpe Road, north side, just east of Trafalgar Road, in use since 1998 as an Islamic centre.
Front Row: Herman Shroeder, Lawrence Hemsley, Edward Shroeder, Sybil Caverley, Merrle Cardinal, Joan Clifton, Shirley Cardinal, Betty Post.
Back Row: Tony Caverly, John Clifton, Claude Clifton, Don Albertson, Shirley Pickering, Eva Pickering, Eleanor Hutton, Barb Royle, Luscen Caverly, ?Watts, Ron Hemsley
- Barb (Royle) Ford 1939
- Date Of Event:
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- S.S. #4, Snider's School, 1939
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton