1958 Palermo Public School Graduating Class
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Back row, starting on left: Bruce Galbraith, Marilyn Woodley, Betty Lawrence (in polka dot shirt), Mary Lou and Maryanne Meridith, Denise Ryan (in black sweater), ?, Cornelius, ?
Front row: Gerry ?, Wayne Shillum, Eddie Fox, Keith Baldwin, Murray Ballock, (possibly) Aslak Henrikson.
The teacher is Principal Charlie Matheson.
These students attended the "new" Palermo Public School which opened midway through the 1956 school year. Enrollment and modern times meant the closure of the old one-room schoolhouse that had been built in 1942 at 2431 Dundas Street West.
This photograph is courtesy of Wayne Shillum. Wayne's parents moved their family to a farm at Palermo in 1950. Wayne started school at the old one-room schoolhouse, S.S. #2 that year. He was six years old, in grade one. His brother Bob was 12 years old, in grade seven.
Wayne has written a book for his family that has been published and in it, he includes memories of his school days at both schools. This photograph is of some of the 1958 graduating class. In his book, Wayne remarks on the loss of community as the young people went on to highschool at Thomas A. Blakelock, Oakville. "We would soon lose the close friendships that we enjoyed in our one room and small village school, with all our friends in the same room."
- Shillum, Wayne E. The Farmboy in 1950's Palermo Ontario. Publisher: WES Marketing, cJanuary 2018. ISBN 1987978064, 9781987978063 (Available from Amazon.ca)
- Date of Original:
- June 1958
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- 1958 Palermo Public School Graduating Class
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton