Wayne Shillum As Roy Rogers, Early 1950's
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Rose and Robert Shillum bought the 100 acre dairy farm on the Back Concession (now 3133 Burnhamthorpe Rd. West), Palermo, from Fred Edwards and moved their family from Toronto in 1950. There, on Rosemar Farms, they raised their three boys, Bob, Wayne and Brian.
Robert Sr. was a sales representative for a paint company called Berry Brothers. His territory was Ontario. He continued this work even after purchasing the farm. His work day started at 5 a.m. for the early milking, then he travelled to work. He milked again when he arrived home around 5:30 or 6 p.m.
Wayne is dressed in his cowboy costume in this photograph. Roy Rogers was a television cowboy who inspired the imaginations of many young boys in the 1950's.
As you can see, not only did Wayne's family have a dairy farm with all the meticulous attention to hygiene the milk required, they also kept poultry for eggs and meat. For the first few years of owning the farm, all mechanical work was done by horses so as well, they grew hay and grain which also provided straw for bedding. They had two work horses as well as a riding horse. Several horses were being boarded when they took over the farm and this continued. Pepper was one of the boarding horses they were allowed to ride to keep it exercised.
- Shillum, Wayne E. The Farmboy in 1950's Palermo Ontario. Publisher: WES Marketing, cJanuary 2018. ISBN 1987978064, 9781987978063 (Available from Amazon.ca)
- Personal Name(s):
- Robert Henry Shillum, called Bob, April 19, 1915-March 1999 ; Rose Violet Shillum, called Rose, March 14, 1914-April 1998 ; Sons: Robert Lloyd Shillum, called Bob, August 29, 1938-October 3, 1993 ; Wayne Edward Shillum, b. March 12, 1944 ; Brian David Shillum, b.October 6, 1947.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Wayne Shillum As Roy Rogers, Early 1950's
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton