Sketch of S.S. #16, Trafalgar, the Sixteen Schoolhouse
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A sketch of the old school building showing the red brick. This is the only image in the TTHS collection showing the bell tower in place.
This one-room schoolhouse still sits on the west bank of the 16 Mile Creek, Fourth Line just below Dundas. It was used as a house after the school was closed.
As per the Inscription on the sketch, it seems that the schoolhouse opened in 1855 and closed in 1955.
The "Sixteen Hollow Schoolhouse" is recognized by the Town of Oakville on the Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest (Not Designated) as having "potential cultural heritage value for its historic rural one-room brick schoolhouse".
- Abbey Lane Public Elementary School is located at 1160 Old Abbey Lane Road, Oakville. It is southeast of the old S.S. No. 16 location.
- Printed on the sketch: Sixteen Schoolhouse 18 - 1955.
The dedication plate reads: Presented to Abbey Lane School in Honour of the Official Opening by the Halton Elementary Teachers Association, April 29, 1997?? 1957?? (the year is not clear and the school website has no history of the school).
(Abbey Lane Public Elementary School is located at 1160 Old Abbey Lane Road, Oakville. It is southeast of the old S.S. No. 16 location.)
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4559373795367 Longitude: -79.7491795297241
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Sketch of S.S. #16, Trafalgar, the Sixteen Schoolhouse
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton