Halton Images
2130 Dundas Street West, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
Description
Media Type
Image
Text
Item Type
Photographs
Description
At the time of photographing, the house was estimated by Parks Canada to have been built in 1868. Dr. Anson Buck is listed as the first owner - see below here - and the Tovell family are listed as owners.

The following information is from Century Old Home - Elmbank Farm, Tovell Brothers - page 2 - by Margaret Joubert, MAC, 1969:

"The Tovell house is a nine room farm house located on lot 27, Concession 1, South Dundas Street in the municipality of Oakville. The area was formerly known as Trafalgar Township.

According to the first history of the farm property, it was purchased by John Lepard in 1807 from the Crown. A year later, in 1808, the property was sold to Dr. Anson Buck, a physician and prominent gentleman in municipal affairs. It was Dr. Anson Buck that built the first and existing home on this property. Although Dr. Buck had built the home, he did not live here.

Since this farm home is situated on the Dundas Highway, it was used in earlier years as a stage coach stop for the military road between Toronto and Hamilton. In 1918, Mr. William Tovell Senior bought the farm from Dr. Anson Buck’s Estate.

In 1940 the Tovell Brothers purchased this farm from their father."

The location is at Postmaster Drive and Dundas Street, in today's terms.

4 photographs of different aspects of the house as well as the two index card sides are included in this record. Click on "Select Pages" above to view the house photographs. Image No. 2 is the front of the Parks Canada cataloguing index card which shows all the photographs taken. Not all are uploaded but can be requested.

There are a number of other photographs of the farm and there is more information about the families who owned the property in our internet collection.

Notes
In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.

The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.

The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.

Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.

At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.

All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
Inscriptions
Photograph No. 4, lettering on the barn reads: Elmbank Farm Holsteins Tovell Bros.

Coding on the front of the card: 06177001702130. Province is 06, Negative is 0zy24. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938
On the card verso: 06177001702130
Date Of Event
January 4, 1972
Subject(s)
Local identifier
TTCIVHB000812
Collection
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Language of Item
English
Geographic Coverage
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 43.4433816592157 Longitude: -79.7675663067627
Copyright Statement
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Recommended Citation
2130 Dundas Street West, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
Terms of Use
Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
Contact
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Email
WWW address

Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

thumbnail








2130 Dundas Street West, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972


At the time of photographing, the house was estimated by Parks Canada to have been built in 1868. Dr. Anson Buck is listed as the first owner - see below here - and the Tovell family are listed as owners.

The following information is from Century Old Home - Elmbank Farm, Tovell Brothers - page 2 - by Margaret Joubert, MAC, 1969:

"The Tovell house is a nine room farm house located on lot 27, Concession 1, South Dundas Street in the municipality of Oakville. The area was formerly known as Trafalgar Township.

According to the first history of the farm property, it was purchased by John Lepard in 1807 from the Crown. A year later, in 1808, the property was sold to Dr. Anson Buck, a physician and prominent gentleman in municipal affairs. It was Dr. Anson Buck that built the first and existing home on this property. Although Dr. Buck had built the home, he did not live here.

Since this farm home is situated on the Dundas Highway, it was used in earlier years as a stage coach stop for the military road between Toronto and Hamilton. In 1918, Mr. William Tovell Senior bought the farm from Dr. Anson Buck’s Estate.

In 1940 the Tovell Brothers purchased this farm from their father."

The location is at Postmaster Drive and Dundas Street, in today's terms.

4 photographs of different aspects of the house as well as the two index card sides are included in this record. Click on "Select Pages" above to view the house photographs. Image No. 2 is the front of the Parks Canada cataloguing index card which shows all the photographs taken. Not all are uploaded but can be requested.

There are a number of other photographs of the farm and there is more information about the families who owned the property in our internet collection.