2477 Bronte Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The name of the Second Line, Township of Trafalgar was changed to Bronte Road with amalgamation of the Township with the Town of Oakville in 1965. It held the status of a Province of Ontario Highway from about 1930 to 1997 when it became Regional Road 25, also known as Bronte Road.
In 2007, the Region of Halton constructed the Bronte Road bypass to save some of the historic Palermo village on Old Bronte Road and to accommodate greater traffic flow at the intersection with Dundas Street. Old Bronte Road continues as Town owned.
A number of the old Palermo houses have been moved to Old Bronte Road over the years, not only as a result of the 2007 construction but also as Dundas Street (aka Highway 5, aka the Dundas Highway) has been widened several times.
A good map of the old Palermo buildings on Old Bronte Road is shown on Page 19 in the December 2011 linked Town report, Old Bronte Roade/Khalsa Gate Streetscape Plan.
On that map, #2477 is a Listed cottage on the east side of Old Bronte Road, 3 houses south of the medical building at Dundas Street.
The owner at the time of the Parks Canada photograps was Mr. Hogeveen. The 1988 Bower's Street Address directory shows "T. Hogeveen" at this address.
The estimated date of building was 1875.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177002202462. Province is 06, Negative is 0zy22. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938
On the card verso: 06177002202477
- Date Of Event
- December 31, 1971
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4345318937001 Longitude: -79.7745185925293
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 2477 Bronte Road, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton