U.S.S. No. 17, Ash Public School
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- In 1875, the wooden frame school was built. It burned down in 1932. This is the brick building which replaced it, built in 1934, still a one-room schoolhouse.
Florence Meares started her teaching career here in 1934 at age 18. She was a dedicated, passionate educator who also worked for the rights of woment teachers.
Mrs. Mary Proud was another of the Ash teachers. She taught there from 1942-1945. Her own children then were old enough to attend the school so she left until they had graduated, when she returned as the teacher at Ash school.
Mrs. Jean Robertson was the last teacher at U.S.S. #17 when it closed in 1957.
The school was located on Tremaine Rd. (formerly called "Town Line") at Lower Baseline Rd, northeast corner. It was a "union" school drawing children from both Nelson and Trafalgar Townships.
This photograph was taken for the 1957-8 school year.
The building is still there and is now a private residence. Many of the students lived on Tremaine Road. Students who were in grades seven and eight were already attending Palermo Public School on Bronte Road (Highway 25) at the time of this photo. The following year, some of the elementary students were bused to Percy W. Merry Public School on Britannia Road in north Oakville, while others were bused to Fairview Public School on Britannia Road in north Burlington.
- A list of all teachers, assistants and caretakers was prepared for the 1998 reunion. No dates were provided so they are listed here in alphabetical order: Teachers: Jean Baylis, Mrs. Birch, Erma Coulson, Mrs. Douglas, Mrs. Jean Emerson, Miss Hallpenny, Mrs. Ivy Jepson, Jean Kemp, Florence Mears, ? McClure, Mary Proud, Gwen Pamenter, Jean Robertson, Dorothy Sparks, Mrs. Laura VanSickle, Doberthein Watkins, Grace Wilson.
Music Teachers: Mr. Jack Asher, Miss Monica Bernard, Miss Osbourne, Mrs. Russel.
Caretakers: Verna Gowland, Sally (and Allan) Patterson.
School Inspectors: J.M. Denyes, Lorne Skuce.
You can view larger images by clicking on "Full Image" below the photogragh which takes you to another page where not only is the image larger, but you can make it even larger by clicking on the different sizes shown in the upper right hand corner.
- Date of Original:
- ca 1950s
- Personal Name(s):
- The students seemed to be arranged by class, and the rows identified below are according to what step they were standing on.
Very Back: Mrs. Roberston (teacher)
Back Row: Jean Marshall, Marjorie Van Dalen, Colleen Meredith
4th Row: Beverley Patterson, Susan Hall, Donna Hogarth, Ralph Van Dalen
3rd Row: Gary Gowland, Rosemarie Muth, Joyce Marshall. Larry Pelletterio (with glasses)
2nd Row: Bruce Barnes, Alice Van Dalen (with cardigan), Bobby Pay
Front Row: Teddy Gowland, Jimmy Galbraith, Gail Gowland, Patty Meredith
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Ash Public School, S.S. #17
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton