Family line of William & Harriet Asby Peacock
- Full Text
The Family of William and Harriot Asby Peacock.
William Peacock was born at Beptin, Woolwich, Englad on April 26, 1796. Harriot Asby was born at Blythburg, Suffolk, Englad, on August 10, 1798. The were married on October 20 1817. Their issue was as follows – born at Suffolk, England.
1. Harriet Eleanor Peacock – born March 12 1819
2. William George Peacock – born October 27 1820
3. John Alfred Peacock – born April 13 1822
4. Mary Ann Elizabeth Peacock- born November 23 1823 (She died young in Canada)
5. Joseph Solomon Peacock – born June 25 1825
William and Harriet Peacock and family of six emigrated to Canada on April 13 1832, and settled on the Middle Road now the Queen Elizabeth Way, at Merton, Trafalgar Township, Halton County, Ontario, Canada, where the following family was born.
6. Sarah Jane Peacock – born October 6 1832
7. Jessie Stafford Peacock (twin) – born July 23 1835
8. Robert Asby Peacock (twin) – born July 23 1835
9. Flora Dowsing Peacock – born August 5 1837
10. Eliza Stanford Peacock – born September 5 1842
On March 22 1875, William Peacock died at the age of 79 and was buried in St. Luke’s Anglican Cemetery, at Palermo, Ontario. On January 8 1882, Hariet Asby Peacock died at the age of 84 and was buried beside her husband in Palermo, Ontario.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A brief history and family line of the family of William and Harriet Asby Peacock. William Peacock had been a seaman and then captain before retiring in England. He came to Halton in 1832 with his wife and six of their eventual eleven children. They lived for a time at Palermo where William built St. Luke's Anglican church and did the beautiful wood carving inside. They were also able to purchase a homestead in Merton where William and Harriet gave land for the Merton school although William felt he was too old to erect the building. Their farm at Merton is now home to the Deerfield Golf Course.
- The Merton area (Lots 26-35 2SDS Trafalgar) was settled as early as 1810. the first settlers were David Utter, Joseph Smith, William Bates, Cornelius Tipps and Henry Cale. The community adopted the name "Merton" when the post office opened in 1852. The name was likely chosen to commemorate the battle of Trafalgar and Lord Nelson as other local villages had chosen Bronte and Palermo. The post office remained open until 1917 when it was replaced by rural mail service from Bronte.
Merton boundaries were present day Burloak Drive to 3rd Line, the railway tracks near Lake Ontario north to Upper Middle Road. The intersection of Bronte Road (originally called Station Road) and the Queen Elizabeth Way (formerly Lower Middle Road) was the centre of the Merton area.
In early days, the overhead foliage was so dense that the narrow dirt tracks used as roads were constantly muddy. Road work was done by local people. The early bridge at 12 Mile Creek at Lower Middle Road had very steep approaches and was wooden, in poor condition.
- Personal Name(s):
- William Peacock, b. April 26, 1796 d.March 27, 1875
Harriet Peacock, b. August 10, 1798 d.January 8, 1882
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton