MG1 A1 Bernard Collection
- Full Text
1 Local History (FILE. MISSING Mar 11, 2004)
- 1.01 Photo reproduction by John MacDonald
- 1.02 Dominion Seed House
- 1.03 Georgetown Herald, Dec 28 1876
- 1.04 The Way We Were, Part Two
- 1.05 Rotary Club 1955-1980
- 1.06 Timothy Eaton Started Here……
- 1.07 Historical Society Hears Early Days Recalled
2 Esquesing Historical Society Newsletters, Feb 1980. (3 copies)
3 Rough Notes on Business in Georgetown – handwritten possibly by John E Evans (notation found in folder). Information on very first settlers and businesses.
4 Toronto Historical Buildings – Newspaper Clippings, 12 Documents
- 4.01 Photo clipping: Bell’s Toronto Exchange, Sunday Star, September 21, 1980.
- 4.02 Article: Brian Gilchrist, “Tracing your roots.” Sunday Star (no date) about accurately representing the past and avoiding biases.
- 4.03 Article: Donald Jones, “Reed made Toronto proud of its history.” Toronto Star, no date. Article on the life of T. A. Reed, a Toronto historian
- 4.04 Photo clipping: Junction of Ford and Wellington. Sunday Star, September 14, 1980.
- 4.05 Article: Denis Grayhurst, New in Homes, “Downtown house get new lease in life in renovation surge.” Toronto Star, Saturday, June 7, 1980.
- 4.06 Article: Donald Jones, “Toronto’s forgotten post office oldest still standing in Canada.” Toronto Star, September 27, 1980.
- 4.07 Article: Leon Whiteson, “St. Lawrence renewal reveals sense of drama.” Toronto Star (no date). About the Urban Design Group, created in 1978 by the City of Toronto. Its objective is to make the city more visually stimulating.
- 4.08 Article: “Gen. Brock’s Task: to achieve a miracle.” Toronto Star, Monday, November 3, 1980. Excerpt from Pierre Berton’s book, The Invasion of Canada, 1812-1813.
- 4.09 Article: Donald Jones, “What’s in a Toronto street name? Plenty.” Sunday Star, November 2, 1980. The history of the street name of Toronto.
- 4.10 Article: Mike Filey. “Stroll down memory lane: the people who helped create our Toronto.” Sunday Sun, August 3, 1980.
- 4.11 Article: William Kilbourn. “1880 Canada in crisis” Globe and Mail, Tuesday May 13, 1980. 2nd part of a 5 part series by author and historian William Kilbourn
- 4.12 Article: Andrew Armitage. “Lilac’s are colourful monuments marking the ruins of our past.” The Sun Times, Owen Sound, Saturday June 3, 1978. History of lilacs in Ontario.
5. Taped Interview. Reminiscences of Georgetown. Side 1 with Miss Jean MacKenzie. Side 1 with Walter Biehn (Moved to Audio Cassettes – MG10 B )
6. Limehouse Photo Clippings
- 6.01 Photo reproduction by John McDonald, General Store and Limehouse Hotel circa 1901
- 6.02 Photo reproduction by John McDonald, Limehouse Methodist Church. The Independent, Georgetown, Wed, July 23, 1980.
- 6.03 Photo reproduction by John McDonald, “Workers at Dolly Varden – 1913.”
- 6.04 Photo reproduction by John McDonald, Limehouse circa 1905.
- 6.05 Photo showing the lime kiln. Georgetown Independent, Aug 19, 1980.
7 Preservation of Historical Buildings
- 7.01 Photocopy of municipal regulations, Appendix A: Criteria for evaluating Real Property of Historic/Architectural Value.
- 7.02 “Historical Site Criteria Used in Toronto.”
- 7.03 “What Do We Protect” paper on preserving older buildings in small communities.
8 Canada and Canadian History:
- 8.01 Article: “What Canadians care about.” Toronto Star, Monday April 20, 1981. Excerpt from June Callwood’s book, Portrait of Canada.
- 8.02 Article: John Brehl “They weren’t so stuffy: Our fathers of confederation included drunks and womanizers and they could easily dance till dawn.” Sunday Star, July 1, 1979.
9 Researching Your Genealogy
- 9.01 Article: “Tips on tracing your roots fascinating for audience.” Georgetown, Independent, Oct 15, 1980. Contains information about the well know author and genealogist, Angus Baxter.
- 9.02 Article: Brian Gilchrist, “Ancestor hunting: new light on old pastime.” (no name or date). Article on where readers can get more information on how to trace their ancestry.
- 9.03 Article: Brian Gilchrist, “New book is excellent guide to discovering family history.” (no name or date) Book Review of Donald Steele’s Discovering Your Family History.
- Esquesting Historical Society
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Index for the Esquesing Historical Society Archives
- Date of Original:
- 21 Jul 2009
- Language of Item:
Esquesing Historical Society
Agency street/mail address
P.O. Box 51,
Georgetown, ON L7G 7T1