Merton School, S.S. #15 - pre 1930
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Miss Ruth Baldwin Inglehart, teacher. Marie Inglehart, second from left in second row and Edgar (Ike) Inglehart, third from right in second row. Both are children of Stanley Inglehart and Minnie Marie Vivian, and both are second cousins, once removed of the teacher.
Merton school S.S.#15 was first a log building. A brick one was built in 1857 that was demolished to make way for the highway, and the third school that was built in 1923 closed in 1958 when the new Palermo Public School on Old Bronte Road was opened.
The school was active in the life of the community with literary and drama clubs, and an active Home and School Association.
- Merton school was S.S. #15. Merton boundaries were present day Burloak Drive to 3rd Line, the railway tracks near Lake Ontario north to Upper Middle Road. The intersection of Bronte Road (originally called Station Road) and the Queen Elizabeth Way (formerly Lower Middle Road) was the centre of the Merton area.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4263500286665 Longitude: -79.8145156933593
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Merton School - pre 1930
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton