Merton School Photo ca1910
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This school photo likely shows the Merton School, attended by Ethel Giles circa 1910. Ethel grew up to attend Normal School (teacher's college) in Hamilton and become a teacher in Trafalgar Township herself as "Miss Giles" and then "Mrs. Wettlaufer".
- Merton school S.S.#15 was first a log building. A brick one was built in 1857 that was demolished to make way for the highway, and a third school was built in 1923 that closed in 1958 when the new Palermo Public School on Old Bronte Road, just to the north, was opened.
The Merton area (Lots 26-35 2SDS Trafalgar) was settled as early as 1810. The first settlers were David Utter, Joseph Smith, William Bates, Cornelius Tipps and Henry Cale. The community adopted the name "Merton" when the post office opened in 1852. The name was likely chosen to commemorate the battle of Trafalgar and Lord Nelson as other local villages had chosen Bronte and Palermo. The post office remained open until 1917 when it was replaced by rural mail service from Bronte.
Merton boundaries were present day Burloak Drive to 3rd Line, the railway tracks near Lake Ontario north to Upper Middle Road. The intersection of Bronte Road (originally called Station Road) and the Queen Elizabeth Way (formerly Lower Middle Road) was the centre of the Merton area.
- Date Of Event
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4273473848689 Longitude: -79.8172622753906
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Merton School Photo, circa 1910
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton