Students At The "Old" School House, Possibly S.S. #10
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This is believed to be S.S. #10 Trafalgar, north-east corner of Britannia and Tenth Line.
This is the history of S.S. No. 10 Trafalgar, a union school:
In 1824, a log school was built at the modern-day named intersection of Tenth Line and Britannia Roads in the former Trafalgar Township, Halton County. Approximately 50 pupils, including many adults, attended. Students from Toronto Township, Peel County to the east also came here.
When school sections were being created in 1842, area families from both Townships were permitted by the Ontario Legislature to continue this school on the Town Line as a "union" school.
The log school, S.S. No. 10, Trafalgar burned down in 1858.
A brick building was built in 1859, on the Robinson farm, Halton County. This construction turned out to be so poor that the building tilted and had to be propped up more than once. Attempts were made to sue the builder.
It was replaced by a two room white frame building across the road on farmland owned by Trustee John Miller in Toronto Township, Peel County (the west half of Lot 6, Concession VI, Toronto Township).
The new building, shown in this record, was framed with 8" x 8" timbers, clad with horizontal boards and painted white. It was built by John Gailey of Oakville. It opened in August 1872.
Discussions arose over more than once over the years as to keeping the school as a union school, but it carried on until June 1960 when the school was closed.
Most of the above information is taken from the presentation prepared by Joan Reid, Streetsville Historical Society president in 2008, for the 150th Anniversary of Streetsville.
The TTHS has a copy of the booklet prepared by Joan Reid, "Little White Schoolhouse S.S. No. 10 Trafalgar" in its print archives. The book has a wealth of documented information about the activities at the school, names the teachers and school trustees, tells stories about the school and people involved with it, and captures the old times very well.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Students At The "Old" School House, Possibly S.S. #10
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton