Alisemon (or Alisimon) Elizabeth (Straw) Gilby b.1816 d.1910
- Thompson & Son, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Alisemon Elizabeth, called "Alise", Straw was born on April 15, 1816, in Lincoln, County Lincolnshire, England and died May 2, 1910, in Gilby, Gilby Township., Grand Forks County, ND, at age 94. She was the daughter of John Straw of England and Hannah (unknown).
John Gilby and Alisemon Elizabeth "Alise" Straw were married October 17, 1842, in York, County Yorkshire, England.
Daughters, Emily and Emma, were born in England before she and John emigrated to Trafalgar Township, Halton County along with James Gilby, John's brother. Their farm was at Sheridan, also known today as the "Clearview" neighbourhood of Oakville.
John Gilby and Alisemon Elizabeth "Alise" (Straw) Gilby had five children. John died in Trafalgar Township on February 15, 1865. Alise then married his brother James and they moved to Gilby, Gilby Township in North Dakota.
- Alisimon's birth date is shown as either April 1816 or an unknown month and date in 1817.
Some of the descriptive information in this record is taken from the linked website: http://www.leighlarson.com/james_gilby_jr.htm
The Census reports show differing information on the ages of Emily and Emma, the ages of family members, and the spelling of Alisemon's name. Internet research and a note on a photograph indicate that the spelling is "Alisemon". The 1861 Census of Canada has "Alezemon". Family records indicate it is "Alisimon". She was sometimes called, "Alise" by friends and family.
Two more photographs of Alisemon inside and on the porch of her home in Gilby, North Dakota are linked to this record: see the links "Alisemon Gilby...North Dakota 1909".
- Thompson & Son, 75 King St. E., Toronto
- Place of Publication
- Toronto, Ontario
- Date of Publication
- Personal Name(s)
- Alisemon Elizabeth (Straw) Gilby b. April 15, 1916 d. May 2, 1910
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.48341 Longitude: -79.71632
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Alisemon Elizabeth (Straw) Gilby b.1817 d.1872
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton