Hagar House, Palermo, circa 2008
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This house was built on Lot 31, Concession 1, located on the north side of Dundas Street West, west of Old Bronte Road. It was one removed from the corner at the northwest corner of this intersection. The street address was 3015 Dundas St.
The house was built after 1867 when Jonathan Hagar, the son of Lawrence Hagar, a founder of Palermo, returned from travels.
In 2008, the property consisted of the main house and the garage. Michelle Knoll, of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society was able to provide personal information about the house to the 2008 Ontario Conservation Review Board Hearing by explaining that during Jonathan’s time in the house, it was considered a “museum” since he brought back many specimens from his travels, particularly from Australia. There were always people there. She also said that it had the last “spring house.” referring to the natural spring water well housed in the back lean-to, attached to the main house.
- In 2007-8, this house was considered for preservation and a heritage designation. Please also see newsletters of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society and the December 2008 "Hearing Report McKellar Estate" which reviewed the proceedings in front of the Ontario Conservation Review Board, linked here.
Several other views of the house and garage as they were in about 2008 are also attached to this record. "Select" other pages to view.
Early land registry records and Trafalgar census records from 1851, 1871, 1881 use the family surname spelling, "Hagar". However, the 1861 census and the family gravestones in the Palermo cemetery use the spelling "Hager". Discussion with family in 2016 shows that most family members use the spelling "Hager" with the exception of one descendent group who preferred the other. During our discussion, we also found records with the following spellings - likely as interpreted from the new immigrants by Customs officials - Hauger, Hegi, Hauge.
- Date of Publication
- Personal Name(s)
- Hagar, Lawrence Hagar, Jonathan
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.48341 Longitude: -79.71632
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Hagar House, 3015 Dundas St., Palermo
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton