Sixteen School, S.S. #16, Trafalgar Township
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The teacher is Laura King. She may have been in her late teenage years when this photograph was taken. She would not have taught after her marriage in 1909.
This one-room schoolhouse still sits on the west bank of the 16 Mile Creek, Fourth Line just below Dundas. It was used as a house after the school was closed.
The "Sixteen Hollow Schoolhouse" is recognized by the Town of Oakville on the Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest (Not Designated) as having "potential cultural heritage value for its historic rural one-room brick schoolhouse".
- Laura's parents were George and Mary Ann, called Polly, King who owned the farm on Highway 5 (Dundas Street), Trafalgar Township, called The Pines.
Laura was born the year after her father had joined the Toronto Police force. He had been a policeman in London, England before emigrating. Laura's mother, Polly, had come to Canada with her parents in 1872 and had worked as a maid for Sir Henry Pellet, the builder of Toronto's Casa Loma.
Laura married George Lockhart Spence on April 8, 1909 and their children were Hester Louise Spence, Lillian Mary Spence and William Kenneth Spence.
- Personal Name(s)
- Eliza Laura (King) Spence, b.December 30, 1884 d.June 6, 1954. Laura was never called by her first name. George Lockhart Spence, always called by his middle name, b.1882 d.1963 Hester Louise Spence, b.February 3, 1910 d.March 1, 1986, always called Louise rather than Hester. Lillian Mary Spence, b.July 8, 1911 d.August 6, 1991. William Kenneth Spence, b.February 19, 1914 d.May 8, 1989, always called by his middle name.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43341 Longitude: -79.66631
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Sixteen School, S.S. #16, Trafalgar Township
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton