Mother-of-Pearl and Silk Change Purse
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A change purse, lined with silk, containing 3 compartments. The outer shell is mother-of-pearl with brass edging and clasp. It looks like a real oyster shell. Affixed to the top is a plate with the word "Soubenie" inscribed. Could this be a form of "souvenir"? If it is two words, (although it doesn't seem to be), it might be "Sou benie", translated from the French language as "often blessed".
- Date unknown. This lovely purse was the property of the John D. Smith family, near Palermo. The family lived on the farm at Lot 34, Con. 1, SDS from 1831 to 1977, although they had owned the land prior to 1831.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43341 Longitude: -79.78293
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Mother-of-Pearl and Silk Change Purse
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton