Palermo School, S.S. #2, in 2014
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Dundas Street is scheduled to be widened in the summer of 2014, bringing the road and sidewalk within a few metres of the front door of the old Palermo schoolhouse. This series of 6 photographs shows the old one-room schoolhouse, its grounds and neighbouring properties of the old mill pond to the east and the new Glenorchy Park to the north before the start of this new road construction, in May 2014.
The flagpole was originally made for Palermo Hall.
- Palermo Schoolhouse is located at 2431 Dundas Street West. The schoolhouse is currently home to the Trafalgar Historical Society.
There was a school in Palermo as early as 1819. It was one of 3 public schools in Trafalgar Twp. The first school may have been on the same property as the ones built in 1844, 1875 & 1942 or it may have been across the road near the cemetery.
The first school was built in 1844. A new school was built in 1875. This new 1942 building contains the date stone of the old. It served as a school in the village of Palermo for a couple of decades.
The school stopped being used in the 1960’s when a new Palermo school was built on Bronte Rd. Marg Wark was the last teacher at Palermo. The new school wasn’t ready on time and the students were taught in the Palermo hall, St Lukes & the old Palermo school until it was completed. The present-day St. Joseph's Portuguese Roman Catholic Church at 2451 Bronte Road incorporated the school in its building.
After the school closed, the building was used by the Trafalgar Police Department.
In 2010, the Halton District School Board opened a new Palermo Public School in northwest Oakville.
- Date of Publication
- Date Of Event
- May 2014
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43341 Longitude: -79.78293
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Palermo School, S.S. #2, in 2014
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton