North Trafalgar Community Club, 1956
- Media Type
- Item Type
- North Trafalgar Community Club 35th Anniversary at Trafalgar Memorial Hall, 1956.
In 1921 a family newly arrived in north Trafalgar Township was in desperate need of help. A small group of women got together to provide the family with clothing and food donations. Their efforts were greatly appreciated and on September 15, 1921, they met to form a club to continue providing aid to the community. The motto was, "A rose to the living is worth many flowers to the dead", or, "Flowers for the living". At the January 1922 meeting, they christened their group, "The North Trafalgar Community Club" and Mr. Doug McGregor, better known as Sandy, presented them with a song which opened every meeting thereafter.
Deliberately run without red tape or the support of a larger organization, club members helped victims of fires, paid to help with hospitalization and/or nursing care, visited people ill or shut-in at home, provided donations to local charities, and during war-time packed ditty-bags. The active women invited speakers to keep informed and raised money with euchre and dance parties.
The husbands of the women also actively worked and assisted with Club projects. They made it a point to step up and help in whatever needed to be done in the "community" of north Trafalgar Township.
- Date of Publication
- Date Of Event
- Personal Name(s)
- Front row left to right: ?, Bert Leslie, Jack Williamson, Gordon Leslie, Alfred Ball, Frank Leslie, Alfred McCracken, Ellison Ball, ?, Morice Williamson. Second row left to right: Verna Near, Irene McCracken, June Leslie, Joan Williamson, Merle Leslie, Mary Leslie, Mrs. Sandford, Mrs. Spencer, Maybelle May, Wilma Lamb, Marda Miller, Vera Williamson, Mrs. Atkinson, Jack Beattie. Third row left to right: Mrs. Stephens, Kay Main, Margaret Leslie, Mary Watson, Edna Ball, Viva Hamilton, Dorreen Ball, Ottilie Dowling, Kathleen May, ?, Mrs. Cordingly, Beth May, Jean Beattie. Fourth row left to right: Dora McCarron, Hasel Dalgliesh, Emily Beattie, Pearl Turnbull, Bessie Marshall, Clara May, Marjorie Cordingly, Marjorie Sparling, Marion Leslie, Will Leslie. Back row left to right: ?, ?, ?, Norman Sparling, Robb Main, Murray May, Alex Watson, ?, Jim May, ?, T.A. Leslie, Fred Near, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.48341 Longitude: -79.71632
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- North Trafalgar Community Club, 1956
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton