North Trafalgar Community Club, Fashion Show News Article, 1950s or 1960s
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The North Trafalgar Community Club put on its annual fall fashion show at the Pine Room to raise funds for charitable purposes.
In 1921 a family newly arrived in north Trafalgar Township was in desperate need of help. A small group of women got together to provide the family with clothing and food donations. Their efforts were greatly appreciated and on September 15, 1921, they met to form a club to continue providing aid to the community. The motto was, "A rose to the living is worth many flowers to the dead", or, "Flowers for the living". At the January 1922 meeting, they christened their group, "The North Trafalgar Community Club" and Mr. Doug McGregor, better known as Sandy, presented them with a song which opened every meeting thereafter.
Deliberately run without red tape or the support of a larger organization, club members helped victims of fires, paid to help with hospitalization and/or nursing care, visited people ill or shut-in at home, provided donations to local charities, and during war-time packed ditty-bags. The active women invited speakers to keep informed and raised money with euchre and dance parties.
- Personal Name(s)
- Left to right: Mrs. J. Daigleigh, convenor of the show, models Dorothy Awde and Shirley Sinclair, and Mrs. B. Leslie, of Hornby.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.48341 Longitude: -79.71632
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- North Trafalgar Community Club, Fashion Show News Article, 1950s or 1960s.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton