Gardens At Lazy Pat Farm
- Media Type
- Item Type
- In 1945, Joseph and Yvonne Piggott, of the Hamilton Piggott Construction family, bought two farms of 220 acres including 3269 and 3271 Dundas Street in the old Trafalgar Township, now Oakville, Ontario. Mrs. Piggott used the working farm as a summer home, visiting every Sunday and entertaining friends and business acquaintances.
The 3 photographs in this record (click on "Pages" "Select" above to see the others) show the remaining structure of the old garden. The main photograph looks to the north from Dundas Street over the lawn to the main house on the property, which was built along with the pool in 1947. Mrs. Piggott carefully selected the trees to be planted. The garden, with its long, high hedges that were clipped by hand, its cold water swimming pool, pool house and shuffleboard court required the assistance of a head gardener, who lived in this house and two other, part-time, gardeners.
During the Piggott family ownership, there were 5 houses on the land for the garden and farm staff.
The photograph named "Back Garden View" shows some of the long, high (10 feet or more) hedges that framed the gardens and helped heat the swimming pool. Today they are clipped with an electric trimmer.
The photograph "Garden View" shows the hedge arch which entices strollers to leave the shuffleboard court and walk north towards the large barn over a lovely lawn where family horses once grazed.
The original house on the property, the home of Hugh and Jeannie McLean from 1920 to 1933 (see the photograph of Jane (Jeannie) McLean in the "Group of Related Records" link for a picture of the old house in 2014)is now condemned although it has some heritage features.
- This is one in a series of records about the property known for many years as "Lazy Pat Farm". To view the collection of records, click on the Group of Related Records,"Lazy Pat Farm 3269 and 3271 Dundas Street West, Oakville".
- Date Of Event
- Personal Name(s)
- Lance Pocock. Vera Pocock. Joseph Piggott. Yvonne Piggott.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.425930177156 Longitude: -79.7911697460937
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Gardens At Lazy Pat Farm
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton