Lazy Pat Farm Pond
- Media Type
- Item Type
- In 1945, Joseph and Yvonne Piggott, of the Hamilton Piggott Construction family, bought the farms including 3269 and 3271 Dundas Street in the old Trafalgar Township, now Oakville, Ontario. Mrs. Piggott used the working farm as a summer home, visiting every Sunday and entertaining friends and business acquaintances.
This fishing pond was built for the entertainment of guests. Click on "Pages" "Select" above to view two other 2014 photographs of the back farm road going west to the other farm property over the pond weir that once was swept away during Hurricane Hazel in the 1950's. You can see how close the new subdivision developments are to this property in 2014.
The large active farm grew wheat and oats as well as managing a prize winning herd of Guernsey cows, the dairy, over 500 hens and turkeys with cocks, a piggery of over a thousand as well as family horses. Today, soy and corn are the crops grown by Lance Pocock, farm and property manager. As a young lad, Lance agreed to work one summer looking after the 500 strong flock of hens, turkeys and 6 fighting cocks. He took over as farm manager in 1953. 61 years from that first summer, he is still enjoying the work and land. You might catch Lance at one of his four 2014 Canadian National Exhibition appearances representing the Halton Pork Producers, talking about the business of breeding and raising pigs today.
- This photograph and record is one of several uploaded. Click on: "Groups of Records: Lazy Pat Farm, 3269 Dundas West, Oakville" to see the rest in the series.
- Personal Name(s)
- Lance Pocock. Joseph Piggott. Yvonne Piggott.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4261795194766 Longitude: -79.7880798413086
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Lazy Pat Farm Pond
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton