North Trafalgar Community Club, "Reminiscing" by Maybelle May
- Media Type
- To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Club begun in 1921, Maybelle May wrote this poem. She captures the history of the North Trafalgar Community Club, the work they did, the fun and the friendships and the times of the neighbourhood.
As other records in this series describe, the Club was formed to help anyone who needed a lifeline in the days prior to welfare, social assistance, health insurance, and with long distances to medical care and frequent fires.
The women at that first meeting on September 28, 1921 were Mrs. Wagner, Mrs. Campbell, Mrs. Stephens, Mrs. McCarron, Mrs. Williamson, Mrs. Atkinson, Isabel Atkinson, Maybelle Wagner, Irene McCarron, Mrs. Jas. Leslie, Mrs. W.G. Cooke, Mrs. Sandford, Mrs. Fullerton, Mrs. Ross, Mrs. U. Stevenson, Eva Stevenson, Miss MacGregor, Mrs. Bonham.
In 1971, Maybelle May was a Charter Member, and the following women were "Life Members" who had belonged for 40 years or more: Mary Leslie, Vera Williamson, Marda Miller, Emily Beattie, Kathleen May. Other members were Dora McCarron, Ottilie Dowling, Marion Leslie, Dorreen Ball, Edna Ball, Irene McCracken, Verna Near, Wilma Lamb, Joan Williamson, Beth May, Mary Watson, Marjorie Sparling, June Leslie, Merle Leslie, Margery Cordingly, Bessie Marshall, Hasel Dalgleigh, Audrey Ross, Edith Hannah, Rosemarie Godt, Barrie Saliba, May Sammit and Margaret Duncan.
In 1976, the Club celebrated its 55th anniversary with a mystery trip to the Shaw Festival. People were quite willing to begin another year of work. Some of the members were Mrs. Hasel Dalgleish, Mrs. J. Hannah, Mrs. S. Barnstaple, Mrs. G. Leslie, Mrs. A. Ball, Mrs. Mary Leslie, Mrs. D. Dowling, Mrs. M. Williamson, Mrs. J.D. Cordingly, Mrs. Marion Leslie, Mrs. M. Godt, Mrs. Nellie Salome, Mrs. Allan Ross.
- The poem is 3 pages, in .pdf format. The record software doesn't have enough space to reproduce the full text in this record so it is attached as a .pdf to this record. Under "Pages" "Select", click on "May Poem NTCC .pdf" and the first page of the .pdf will open in the window. You can then again "Select" the .pdf version, top right of this page, to open the complete text of the 3 page .pdf.
- Date of Original
- Personal Name(s)
- Maybelle May
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.48341 Longitude: -79.71632
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- North Trafalgar Community Club, "Reminiscing" by Maybelle May
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton