1901-1954 50th Anniversary Historical Review Halton District Women's Institute
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The first Women's Institute was organized in Stoney Creek in 1897. Mrs. Adelaide Hoodless was the inspiration and the motto was "For Home and Country".
This 50th Anniversary pamphlet gives a history of the Halton District Women's Institute as well as inauguration information about local branches.
It was the Palermo Institute that first brought music instruction into schools in Ontario - in 1924. Halton District made it possible for girls to attend the Chicago World's Fair, others travelled to Ottawa as rewards for their outstanding work. The various Institutes provided displays at the Milton, Acton and Georgetown agricultural fairs. Help to families in need and an interest in nutrition lead to the 1912 cookbook linked here.
These busy women made time to work, laugh, produce results and learn together to make life better for their families and communities. Take time to search out some of the names you see in the pamphlet and find records with their photographs and information about their families.
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.48341 Longitude: -79.71632
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 1901-1954 50th Anniversary Historical Review Halton District Women's Institute
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton