Bigger Invitation to Wedding of Etta Evalena Conover and Robert Edwin Walker, 1897
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The invitation was sent to close friends and neighbours, Albert and Hettie Biggar of Glenclare Farm on 6th Line at Burnhamthorpe, Trafalgar Township, Halton County. (In the future year of 1916, their son Wilbert would mary Mary Ethel Conover.)
When the long invitation is folded, each side of the front has an embossed shamrock. The tiny cards were intended to be handed by guests to the usher at the church door, to indicate on which side of the aisle they wished to be seated - the bride's side or the groom's.
The Conover family lived and farmed on Dundas Street, Trafalgar for several generations. According to the death notice for Austin Conover in The Georgetown Herald linked here, Austin had been born, lived and died on the farm of his parents. He had worked as a general farm contractor and had built many of the Trafalgar Township farm buildings as well as working his own family farm. A link to the newspaper notice of his death is in this record for your further information. The family home was 1499 Dundas Street East on part of Lot 6 Concession 1 NDS.
He and Margaret had two daughters, Etta who was living in Streetsville in 1928 and Albertia R. who never married. The son was Austin Bertrand, according to the linked newspaper article, but on his gravestone his name is "Bertland". He had married Susie S. Bennett.
Many family members are buried at the Erindale Cosmopolitan Cemetery which is at St. Peter's Anglican Church, northeast corner of Mississauga Road and Dundas Street in Erindale, Mississauga.
The family surname was originally Van Covenhoven, also sometimes spelled Coevenhoven.
- Mr. and Mrs. Austin Conover request your presence at the marriage of their daughter, Etta Evalena, to Mr. Robert Edwin Walker, Wednesday afternoon, September 29th 1897 at three o'clock, at their residence, Dundas Street, Trafalgar.
Right Side Envelope: Edwin R. Walker.
Left Side Envelope: Etta E. Conover.
Envelope: Mr. & Mrs. Albert Bigger.
- Date of Original
- September 29, 1897
- Personal Name(s)
- George Austin Conover, called Austin, b.May 12, 1840 d.November 21, 1928. Margaret E. Snider, b.October 27, 1845 d.March 2, 1923. Etta Evalena Conover. Robert Edwin Walker. ; Albert Anson Bigger, b.November 13, 1856, d.June 24, 1938 married Henrietta (called Hettie) Almira (Munn) Bigger, b.October 26, 1860, d. November 26, 1962. Children of Hettie and Albert were: Clara A. Bigger, b.February 13, 1884, d.1978. William James, b.July 26, 1886. Wilbert Henry, b.May 6, 1887 d.June 13, 1960. ; Wilbert married Mary Ethel Conover, b.1888 d.1949. Wilbert and Mary Ethel's children were Harold C., 1917-2004, Clare O. Biggar, 1937-1945, Lois, 1919-1997, Russell and (twins) Martha and Kathryn. ; From the records of the Brittania United Cemetery in Peel County, Ontario: Edwin Walker, born January 20, 1873 died May 15, 1952. Etta Conover, beloved wife of Edwin Walker, born December 1, 1873 died March 9, 1948.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.47955 Longitude: -79.72902
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Bigger Invitation to Wedding of Etta Evalena Conover and Robert Edwin Walker, 1897
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton