Holyrood House, Oakville
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The front door of the house as it faced the gardens and lawns east down to Lake Ontario. The 2nd page shows the west side of the house with the enclosed porch which wrapped around to the front of the house. These photographs were taken by Alice Lessels, wife of Jack (John) Lessels, the estate gardener employed by Gordon and Kathleen Lefebvre.
The living room had two French doors leading out to the porch (which was a later "add-on"). The single window on the right was the dining room. Above the front door was the Lefebvres' bedroom.
The "Groups of Related Records" link will take you to other records, maps of the property and photographs of the estate people.
Gordon Lefebvre was Vice-President of the General Motors Pontiac Division. His wife, Kathleen, was an Oakville girl. Her sister was the wife of local doctor and first Chief of Staff of the Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital, Dr. E.P. Soanes (affectionately known as "Soapy").
- Information and photographs of Holyrood house, the Lefevre family and the history of the property in the Trafalgar Township Historical Society digital collection were shared by Mr. Roy Lessels in May 2016. Roy's father was head grounds keeper for the estate from 1929 to 1945, in the employ of Gordon Lefebvre, and again from 1955-1969 for David Knapp. The images with notes remain the property of Mr. Lessels.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Holyrood House, Oakville
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton