Holyrood Estate Beach, Oakville, Late 1930's
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Neighbours, friends and family of the Lessels brothers at the beach and breakwater of the Holyrood Estate, Oakville. The estate was at the foot of Dorval Drive.
As per Roy's notes in his photo album on this page, note the big timbers of the breakwater.
- Information and photographs of Holyrood house, the Lefebvre family and the history of the property in the Trafalgar Township Historical Society digital collection were shared by Mr. Roy Lessels in May 2016. Roy's father was the head grounds keeper for the estate from 1929 to 1945, in the employ of Gordon Lefebvre who was head of the Pontiac Division, General Motors Company, and again from 1955-1969 for David Knapp. The images with notes remain the property of Mr. Lessels.
The "Groups of Related Records" link will take you to the other records, maps of the property and photographs of the estate people in Mr. Lessels photo album.
- Album notes: Holyrood Beach - Late 1930's. Virginia Soanes, Donald Seal and the Lessels brothers, Roy and Alistair (are sitting on the beach in the top photograph).
Bottom photo: Virginia (Dee Dee), daughter of Dr. Soanes, a prominent Oakville doctor for many, many years. Donald was a neighbour who lived across the highway (Lakeshore or "Lake Shore" Road), from Holyrood. They were neighbours to the west of the harvey Skoog family (Thomas House). Don's family house is still standing in the same location.
Note the pier construction. Square timers fastened together and anchored with beach stones. That pier stood some pretty heavy seas when that wind came out of the east.
- Personal Name(s)
- Alice Lessels, d.age 99, 11 months, 14 days, married John (called Jack) Lessels, b.1902, d.March 5, 1986, age 84. Son John Roy (called Roy), b. February 13, 1930, married Joyce. (He worked for Rubbermaid for many years, Joyce worked for Oakville dentist, John McLennan.) Son Alistair Anderson, b.January 27, 1932 (in Edinburgh, Scotland), married Diane Hammer in March 1964, d.July 29, 2014. (He had a real estate brokerage in Collingwood.) Harry, brother of Jack Lessels, d.August 19, 1990.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4341563308426 Longitude: -79.6766329020691
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Holyrood Estate Beach, Oakville, Late 1930's
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton