Roy and Alistair Lessels at the Skoog's House, Oakville
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Older brother Roy is on the left, Alistair on the right. Mother Alice Lessels always had her Brownie camera ready and took many photographs of family and friends.
The boys are on the front lawn of their neighbour's house, that of the Skoogs family. (The boys lived on the Holyrood estate where their father was head gardener, located at the foot of Dorval Drive at Lake Ontario.) The strawberry patch of the Skoog's farm is now St. Jude's Cemetery property. Many Oakville youth picked those strawberries for a summer job.
The Skoog's farm and house faced Highway 2 (now Lakeshore Road) just west of Dorval Drive, Oakville. The house is called "The Merrick Thomas" house as it was built in 1829 at the Thomas farm, later owned by the Skoog family. The house was designated a heritage property in 1978 and moved to its present location in Lakeside Park, Oakville in 1955 where it is used by the Oakville Historical Society for historical events. A link to more information about the old house is provided under the photograph in this record.
- Information and photographs of Holyrood house, the Lefebvre family and the history of the property in the Trafalgar Township Historical Society digital collection were shared by Mr. Roy Lessels in May 2016. Roy's father was the head grounds keeper for the estate from 1929 to 1945, in the employ of Gordon Lefebvre who was head of the Pontiac Division, Ford Motor Company, and again from 1955-1969 for David Knapp. The images with notes remain the property of Mr. Lessels.
The "Groups of Related Records" link will take you to the other records, maps of the property and photographs of the estate people in Mr. Lessels photo album.
- Personal Name(s)
- Alice Lessels, d.age 99, 11 months, 14 days, married John (called Jack) Lessels, b.1902, d.March 5, 1986, age 84. Son John Roy (called Roy), b. February 13, 1930, married Joyce. (He worked for Rubbermaid for many years, Joyce worked for Oakville dentist, John McLennan.) Son Alistair Anderson, b.January 27, 1932 (in Edinburgh, Scotland), married Diane Hammer in March 1964, d.July 29, 2014. (He had a real estate brokerage in Collingwood.) Harry, brother of Jack Lessels, d.August 19, 1990. Husband: Arvid Oloe Skoog, 1877-1958. Wife: Margaret Louise Brady Skoog, 188?7-1958. Daughter: Thelma I. Skoog, 1911-1989.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4340316762405 Longitude: -79.6768045634461
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Roy and Alistair Lessels at the Skoog's House, Oakville
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton