Township of Trafalgar Police Boys Band, around 1955-1960
- Media Type
- Item Type
- One of several photographs in our digital collection of the Trafalgar Police Boys Band, around the years of 1958 - 1965. In this particular photograph, Walter Wilson is the lad standing in front of the bass drum on the floor, holding the cymbals.
Some of the other band members at this time were Burt and Howard Speck, Gary Nielson, Dunc Learmont, Jim Learmont, Lorne Sampson, Don Nealands, Harry Robertson, Tom Rankin, Bob Phillips, Bill Phillips, Ray Gronostay, Walter Wilson. Walter's younger sister, Elizabeth, was a majorette along with Jean Crutcher.
The band was lead by John Robson and Harry Wilson who were Trafalgar policemen. Another Trafalgar policeman, George Stalkfish also helped to teach how to play the instruments.
Harry Wilson, Walt's dad, was the first officer hired by Trafalgar Township Policeman, Fred Oliver, in 1952. Harry had previously worked for the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police).
Briefly, in 1948 Fred Oliver was selected from 110 applicants and appointed the Police Chief of Trafalgar Township. To this date, he was the youngest Police Chief in Ontario.
Along with his police duties, he was also the truant officer, dog catcher and building inspector for the Township of Trafalgar.
Fred policed from Lake Ontario on the south to Hornby, Ontario on the north and to Burloak Drive, as we know it now, on the west. His area included the Village of Bronte and excluded the Town of Oakville. Oakville was south of the Queen Elizabeth Way at that time and did not include the Ford plant. The population of this area was approximately 5,500. Fred worked alone out of his residence until 1952 when he hired a second officer, Harry Wilson.
- Personal Name(s)
- Walter F. Wilson, b.1947.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43341 Longitude: -79.78293
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Township of Trafalgar Police Boys Band, Township of Trafalgar Police Boys Band, around 1955-1960
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton