John Daniel Lester Miller, Father of Marion (Miller) Lawrence
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Maud Elizabeth Pickard, of St. Catherines married John Daniel Lester (called Lester) Miller, brother of her friend, Marie Miller. The two girls were members of the first Canadian Girl Guide troup in St. Catherines. The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has a photo of them in their uniforms in OurOntario.
Their daughter was Marion Emily who married Denzil Featherstone Lawrence of Trafalgar Township. Marion and Denzil were given the farm property at 1510 Bronte Street South, Milton at their marriage in 1944 by Denzil's parents, Nelson and Maud (Featherstone) Lawrence. They called the property "Lawrendale".
Denzil and Marion ran the farm as a dairy farm for 53 years. Denzil was on the Trafalgar Area School Board - we have another record in OurOntario showing the programme for the opening of Trafalgar Township's Snider's School in 1956 which identifies him as such.
Marion wrote articles for Milton's Canadian Champion newspaper as well as being part of the farm dairy operation. One such item appeared in the September 21, 1944 issue of the Canadian Champion, "Pretty September Wedding Saturday at Ebenezer Church", a description of the wedding of Lois Easterbrook and Neil McPhail.
He, Marion and their children were also active members of St. Paul's United Church in Milton.
After retirement from the dairy farm business, Denzil was a successful real estate agent for 27 years, being the first A.E. LePage agent in Milton, first working out of his home.
- History of Lot 6 Concession 1 New Survey Trafalgar Township, also known as 1510 Bronte Street South, Milton:
The original land patent was granted to Robert Loring in July 1825. Andrew Suiter bought the south half of Lot 6, Concession 1 NS from Henry Freeland in May 1829. The stone farm house was built in 1849. Suiter married Hannah Green and they farmed the east half of Lot 6, Concession 1 N. Andrew died on August 19, 1863.
The estate of Robert Suiter sold the farm to English immigrant Arthur George Heaven in 1883. Arthur George Heaven was born in Bristol England on February 9, 1835. His wife Jane Stephens was born in Bristol, England on November 5, 1839. They came with their children; Herbert G., Claude, Lillian, Cecil, Muriel and Cam. The house was/is 10-rooms, 1 1/2 storey, stone.
Land records indicate Arthur G. Heaven sold the farm to his son Herbert Heaven in 1895.
The property was bought in 1941 by Nelson Daniel Lawrence and Mary Margaret Maude Lawrence from Barbara Jane Stuart. In 1944, the property "Lawrendale" was given to their son, Denzil Featherstone Lawrence at his marriage to Marion Miller. So many of the family farmed along Bronte Road the area was informally known as "The Lawrence Road".
- John Lester Daniel Miller (Marion's father)
- Personal Name(s)
- Maud Elizabeth (Pickard) Miller married John Daniel Lester (called Lester) Miller. Children of Maude Elizabeth (Pickard) Miller were Stewart, Norman and Marion. Marion Emily Miller, b.1922 d.2008 Denzil Featherstone Lawrence, b.1920 d.1999. Children of Marion Emily (Miller) and Denzil Featherstone Lawrence are Marion Elizabeth Jean Gannon (called Betty), b.1945 d.2015 ; Bryon Denzil b.1947 ; Nelson Daniel II, b.1951 d.2009 ; Cheryl Fern (called Fern) (Lawrence) Bruce, b.1952.
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.16681 Longitude: -79.24958
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- John Daniel Lester Miller, Father of Marion (Miller) Lawrence
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton