Township of Trafalgar Police Boys Band, Diary August 1956 to January 1958
- Waller, Ted, Author
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The Police force of Trafalgar Township started a marching band in 1956. Bandmaster was Constable John Robson. Harry Wilson, Trafalgar Police Inspector, was band manager. Trafalgar policeman, George Stalkfish also taught how to play the instruments.
In this record is a copy of the 52 page diary kept by Ted Waller, drummer. Ted joined the band in August 1956 and left the band in January 1958 to join the Saints Drum Corps of the Port Credit Legion (see page 46).
The diary has newspaper clippings, gig set lists, gig event schedules, Ted's handwritten notes about practising at Munn's and their shows, fundraising and more.
Page 15 has the newspaper clipping about the parade at which telephone insulators were thrown at the band, one hitting Ted in the eye.
There are several entries about the decision to put gum machines in area stores to raise money.
Page 6 has a photograph of the Simcoe Boy Scout Band, page 7 shows the Toronto Boy Scout Trumpet Band and the Navy Band called the Jolly Jesters Drum & Bugle Corp is shown on Page 10.
The band marched in many celebratory area parades. They also went to Buffalo, Niagara Falls NY and Ohio as well as competing in Toronto.
The diary is titled "Trafalgar Police Boy's Trumpet Drum Band" "Blue Devils". People also referred to it as the Trafalgar Bugle Band, the Trafalgar Boys Band.
- This is a large document which has to be a lower resolution in order to fit the database software sizing. You can enlarge each page by using the "Automatic Zoom" + sign at the top centre of each page to "Zoom In".
It is a true copy of each diary page so you will even see one page where the newspaper clipping was pasted in upside down.
You can view each individual page or you can click on "Original PDF" underneath the picture to open the entire diary in one document.
The diary is not fully searchable because it has not been OCR'd due to the different text types of newspaper clippings, handwriting, typing, etc. You must download the PDF version to your own computer to search it by using "Edit" "Find".
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.47955 Longitude: -79.72902
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Township of Trafalgar Police Boys Band, Diary August 1956 to January 1958
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton