5409 RR #25 (Bronte Road), Richard Henry Proud House
- Media Type
- Item Type
- 5409 is on Regional Road 25, now Bronte Road South in Milton. This was the home of Richard Henry Proud and Mary, nee Hignett, and their family.
Mary taught at Ash Public School, U.S.S. #17 Trafalgar from 1942-1945. Her own children then were old enough to attend the school so she left until they had graduated, when she returned as the teacher at Ash school.
The school was located on Tremaine Rd. (formerly called "Town Line") at Lower Baseline Rd, northeast corner. It was a "union" school drawing children from both Nelson and Trafalgar Townships. In 1875, the wooden frame school was built. It burned down in 1932. A brick building, built in 1934, replaced it, still a one-room schoolhouse.
Mary also taught at Palermo from 1956 to 1966. We have another record in our internet collection that shows Mary was President of the Palermo Women's Institute in 1948/49. Her name is listed as "Mrs. H. Proud" which indicates her husband was also called by his middle given name. At that time, she was also on the "School Committee" and hosted the October meeting.
Mary and Henry are buried at St. Luke's Anglican Cemetery, Palermo.
- Personal Name(s)
- Richard Henry Proud, b.1907 d.1974 B. Mary Hignett, b.1914 d.2001
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4971383083457 Longitude: -79.848178571167
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 5409 RR #25 (Bronte Road), Richard Henry Proud House
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton