390 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- 390 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville is on the south side of Lakeshore, just east of First Street, east of Trafalgar Road.
Parks Canada noted the tenants at the time were Mr. and Mrs. Jensen. The property was owned by Mr. Herbert Merry who resided on Spruce Street, Oakville. The original owner had been Captain William and the house had been build in 1862.
390 Lakeshore Road East has been Designated under Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act by the Town of Oakville.
The legal description of the lot is Pt Lt 1, PL 19 Thompson Smith Survey, Part 1 2OR1070. The Register says the house was built about 1870. It was originally a farmhouse owned by Captain William Wilson. It was renovated to become 2 storeys by the Bedlington family.
The Register describes it as a "2-storey stucco house with 5-bay rectangular plan and prominent double-gable roof. Architectural details include shed dormers, exposed rafters and bay windows."
Also stamped on the card is: Architect, Major Contractor or Builder, Robert Wilson.
- In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177002000390.
Codes on the back of the index card (image #2) show that the province code is 061. The geo code is 770002. The CIHB code is 00390.
Also on the card verso: the province is 06 and the negative code is ZDD25 - roll - team
- Date Of Event
- March 1972
- Personal Name(s)
- Mrs. Wilson died in 1863, Captain William Wilson in December 1873.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4496426671694 Longitude: -79.6635437220765
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 390 Lakeshore Road East, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton