109 Balsam Drive, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- 5 of the 6 photographs taken by Parks Canada are included in this record. Click on "Pages" "Select" to view all.
This house property was called Clearview by the owners, Mr. and Ms. J.H.H. Depew. Parks Canada determined the original owner was George Andrew and that the house had been built in 1865. The house was south of Lakeshore Road East, west of Chartwell Road.
The house is listed on the Register of Designated Heritage Properties Under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act and is mentioned in the linked report included in this record by Laurie Smith Heritage Consulting, Balsam Drive, Streetscape which provides a history of the settler ownership of the area.
John H.H. Depew was Solicitor for the Town of Oakville. Oakville Beaver newspaper articles in the 1950's and 1960's name him as representing the Town after amalgamation with the Township of Trafalgar when the names of some roads were changed, for example. Seventh Line became Trafalgar Road, Colborne Street became Lakeshore Road, for example, because of street name duplication between the two entities. These items appear in issues of the Oakville Beaver in the 1990's in a regular editorial page column titled, "Pages of the Past".
Milton Historical Society has a photograph of Mr. Depew in Halton Images.
The original 200-acre property was granted to King's College in 1828. The house was built by George Andrew, member of the Oakville Navigation Company according to the Town register of Designated Heritage Properties.
- In 1971-1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177002500109. Province is 06, Negative is 0zy3. NPC 464(9-701)7530-21-029-3938 06177002500109
- Date Of Event
- March 1972
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4525712266528 Longitude: -79.6616983622742
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 109 Balsam Drive, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton