31 First Street, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Click on "Select Pages" above to view the house photographs and the front of the index card. Image No. 2 is the front of the Parks Canada cataloguing index card which shows all the photographs taken.
At the time of photographing, the Parks Canada record noted that the house was owned by Ms. Wilson with the original owner and builder being William Robertson, a hardware merchant. The date of construction was noted as 1855.
This house is listed on the Town of Oakville Register of Designated Properties under Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act. The legal description is PT LT 14, 17 PL 19 THOMPSON SMITH SURVEY ; PT "LANE", PL 19 THOMPSON SMITH SURVEY, LYING E OF LOTS 14, 17, PL 19, T88, PART 3, 20RS948, T/W 578341, S/T INTEREST IN 811207, IF ANY "AMENDED MAR 10 1999 J. MENARD" "T/W RIGHT 574229" ADDED 05/16.
The Designation says that the house was built c1956 by William Robertson, a hardware merchant. Subsequent owners named were Thomas Jeffray Robertson, the first commodore of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club of Toronto and in the early 1900s, W.G. Jaffray purchased the property. He was a Toronto Globe newspaper publisher.
The Designation describes the house as a "2-story 3-bay frame house with clapboard. Architectural detailsl include double front gables, returned eaves, trim with boxed corners and panelling, and an open porch with columns supported by pedestals. There are two sets of lakestone gates on the property.
- In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177001300031.
Codes on the back of the index card (image #2) show that the province code is 061. The geo code is 1770012. The CIHB code is 00031.
Also on the card verso: the province is 06 and the negative code is OZDD, team 2, (negative) roll 5.
- Date Of Event
- March 1972
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4476097273385 Longitude: -79.6617520064545
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 31 First Street, Oakville, Ontario, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton