40 First Street, Oakville, Ontario, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Click on "Select Pages" above to view the house photographs and the front of the index card. Image No. 2 is the front of the Parks Canada cataloguing index card which shows all the photographs taken.
At the time of photographing, the Parks Canada record noted that the house was owned by Mr. Gooderham who himself lived at 26 First Street. The original owner had been Mr. Romain who built the house in 1855.
This house is listed on the Town of Oakville Register of Designated Properties under Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act. The legal description is 40-42 First Street, PLAN 19 PT LOTS 14, 15 RP 20R1535 PT PART 1 20R9766 PART 1 RP 20R10905 PART 4.
The Designation description says, William Francis Romain built a small 2 storey house in 1855; this is now the side wing of the existing house. In 1863, an elaborate 2 storey addition was built and became the main portion of the house. Romain was a prominetn local grain merchant, as well as a Deputy Reeve of Trafalgar Township and for many years served as Councilor and Mayor. He married Ester Ann Chisholm, the eldest daught of William.
The 1855 wing of the house is Georgian-style with asymmetrical 4-bay facade. The 1863 portion of the house was built in the Italianate style with wide eaves supported by large decorative brackets, a low pitched hip roof, rusticated quoins, and a string course. At one time, a Regency styled verandah wrapped around much of the house. W.S. Davis replaced the verandah with the existing portico.
- In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find these photographs in the area of Trafalgar Township and the city of Oakville, Ontario. The collection will grow as we have time to collect and prepare the images.
The TTHS is also sending the images to the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record will show the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
At the top of each TTHS record, you will find "pages" to click on to view the various photographs.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the front of the card: 06177001300040.
Codes on the back of the index card (image #2) show that the province code is 061. The geo code is 1770013. The CIHB code is 00031.
Also on the card verso: the province is 06 02, team DD2, (negative) roll 4.
- Date Of Event
- March 10, 1972
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4482094906393 Longitude: -79.6615267008973
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 40 First Street, Oakville, Ontario, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1972
- Acknowledgement to the work of Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972, Trafalgar Township and Oakville, and of the Trafalgar Township Historical Society is required.
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton