Mr. & Mrs. Addison Hager
- Media Type
- Item Type
- This is likely Almira (Smith) whom Addison married in 1894 when he was 58 years old.
Palermo, founded as Hagartown (also written as "Hagarstown", is a former village in Trafalgar Township, Halton County, Ontario. The village was established in 1805 by Lawrence Hagar, a settler to Upper Canada from Pennsylvania at the intersection of Bronte Road and Hwy. 5, (Dundas Street). The village was named Hagartown until 1836 when it was renamed to Palermo in honour of Horatio Nelson, Lord of Palermo for the opening of the post office.
By the 1870s the village had two stores, a hotel, wagon shop, blacksmith shop, harness shop, brick school house, churches, a telegraph office and drill shed. The main businesses were run and owned by the Hagar family in the 1800's. The village was amalgamated with Oakville in 1962 along with Trafalgar Township, and other nearby villages.
- Early land registry records and Trafalgar census records from 1851, 1871, 1881 use the family surname spelling, "Hagar". However, the 1861 census and the family gravestones in the Palermo cemetery use the spelling "Hager". Discussion with family in 2016 shows that most family members use the spelling "Hager" with the exception of one descendent group who preferred the other. During our discussion, we also found records with the following spellings - likely as interpreted by Customs officials - Hauger, Hegi, Hauge.
- Personal Name(s)
- Addison Hager, b.December 12, 1836 d.April 18, 1920 as per his "Find-a-Grave" record. Buried in Palermo Cemetery, Oakville, Ontario. Twin to sister Addison Pearl. The internet site www.genie.com has confusing information for the deaths of Addison and his sister. For both, the death date April 18, 1929 is given as well as the 1920 date, one in "Hamilton", the other in "Wentworth", Ontario. Parents were Annie Sophia (Book) and Lawrence Hager. On February 15th 1860 in Halton County, Ontario he married Mariah Smith. On October 22nd 1894 in Halton County, Ontario he married Mariah's sister, Almira Smith. Mariah and Almira were daughters of John Durlin Smith 1806-1896 and Margaret Book Walker 1808-1879.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Mr. & Mrs. Addison Hager
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton