549 Lakeshore Road West, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The Parks Canada photographer noted that the original owner's surname was McCraney and the estimated date of building was 1845. The present owner was Appleby College.
Some of the documentation to be found on the internet is linked to this record for your futher information on the right side of this page.
The legal description of the property is pcl 15-1, sc 20m341 ; lt 15, pl 20m341, located on the northeast corner of Lakeshore Road West and Whittington Place, directly across Lakeshore Road from Appleby College.
In 2015, Laurie Smith Consulting described it as a two-storey, Regency-style house with a one-and-a-half storey addition, and a multi-unit residence.
William McCraney purchased Lot 20, Concession III, SDS, Trafalgar Township in 1808. The land passed to his son, William Payne McCraney and then to his grandson, Moses McCraney as the years went by. This area around Fourth Line and Lakeshore became known as McCraney's Corners.
Appleby College was founded on McCraney farmland in 1911. The next year, the McCraney farm was leased to be used as a master's house including a residence for 13 boys and accommodation for a housekeeper. It was used a master's house until at least 1984.
- Click on "Select Pages" above to view the building photographs. Image No. 2 is the front of the Parks Canada cataloguing index card.
In December 1971, January 1972, Parks Canada photographed those buildings that were 100 or more years old. This Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings was a Centennial Project.
The Trafalgar Township Historical Society has worked with Parks Canada and Library and Archives Canada to find the photographs taken in the Trafalgar Township and Town of Oakville areas. The collection will grow as we prepare the images.
The TTHS has also shared the images with the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners to increase local availability and to ensure local preservation.
Each TTHS internet record shows the back of the identifying information card first. This is to prevent any errors in reading the handwritten address held up on a clipboard for each address - we have noted that sometimes the address number is illegible or incorrect.
All TTHS records in this collection can be found in one step by clicking on the "Groups" link on the right of your screen, "Parks Canada. Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1970-1972. Trafalgar Township & Oakville."
- Coding on the back of the card: 0617700100549. The photographer noted that the owner was Bayshore Investments. The estimated date for the house was 1875.
The blue contact sheet card is coded: 0617700100549. The Province code is 06, Negative code is 0Y25.
- Date Of Event
- December 6, 1971
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4268791884527 Longitude: -79.6884775370789
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- 549 Lakeshore Road West, Oakville, Canadian Inventory of Heritage Buildings, 1971
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton