Merton School, S.S. 15, 1920
- Media Type
- Item Type
- The Merton area (Lots 26-35 2SDS Trafalgar) was settled as early as 1810. The first settlers were David Utter, Joseph Smith, William Bates, Cornelius Tipps and Henry Cale. The community adopted the name "Merton" when the post office opened in 1852. The name was likely chosen to commemorate the battle of Trafalgar and Lord Nelson as other local villages had chosen Bronte and Palermo. The post office remained open until 1917 when it was replaced by rural mail service from Bronte.
Some of the later settlers were John Sheridan, who lived on the west side of 2nd Line in the hollow just below Lower Middle Road. His home housed the post office and his blacksmith shop was adjacent.
The Riggs arrived in 1830 and their land on the northeast corner of Bronte (Station) Road and Lower Middle Road was called "Sunnyvale."
The Speers family owned the land west of West River Street to West Street from Lake Ontario and north of Rebecca Street. They called their farm "Summerlea".
The Breckons arrived in 1830 and farmed west of Twelve Mile Creek (Bronte Creek). Their farm was called "Spruce Lane".
Merton boundaries were present day Burloak Drive to 3rd Line, the railway tracks near Lake Ontario north to Upper Middle Road. The intersection of Bronte Road (originally called Station Road) and the Queen Elizabeth Way (formerly Lower Middle Road) was the centre of the Merton area.
- Merton school was S.S. #15. Merton school S.S.#15 was first a log building. A brick one was built in 1857 that was demolished to make way for the highway, and third school was built in 1923 that closed in 1958 when the new Palermo Public School on Old Bronte Road was opened.
The school was active in the life of the community with literary and drama clubs, and an active Home and School Association.
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
- Personal Name(s)
- L to right. Back row – Jack Breckon, Jim Breckon, ? Murs Frenk Sullivan, ? Dorothy Wood? Inglehart ? Inglehart. Front – Albert Fairbrother, ? Grace Inglehart, Honora Atkins, ? Front – Albert Fairbrother, ? Grace Inglehart, Honora Atkins, ?
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4255897784755 Longitude: -79.8164505078125
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Merton School, S.S. 15, 1920
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail:email@example.com
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton